Yorkshire Crafts

My Photo
Yorkshire Crafts
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Designer/maker of hand knitted, hand crafted, handmade items, avid collector and reluctant seller of vintage china, mum, home-educator and book lover. Blogging about our crafts and makes, our home education journey, and reviews of books we use.
View my complete profile

Copyright

We really hope you enjoy reading about our projects and products, but just because they're featured here in public, doesn't mean anyone else can copy them or reproduce them for commercial gain. Except where otherwise indicated, all items are ©YorkshireCrafts.

Vintage Watering Can

Vintage Watering Can

Spring Flowers

Spring Flowers
©Yorkshirecrafts. Powered by Blogger.

Daffodil

Daffodil
Thursday, 21 June 2012

Worth a very long wait!

Today I'm a very happy bunny indeed, because I finally got my hands on a replacement copy of a book I was given by my Aunt when I was about 17 which some thieving git then helped themselves to.

I'd practically given up ever finding a copy of this book again, as despite trying book shops in the past and more recently Amazon at regular intervals over the years, there's never been one available from them and the Amazon marketplace sellers only ever had acceptable copies at best.  Ebay produced the same negative results.  So I was delighted last week to find a seller that not only had a copy at a reasonable price, it was listed as appearing to be "unread", which it has proven to be.  Happy me!!

The book in question is Around the World in Eighty Sweaters, by Sue Bradley and it contains a lovely collection of ... yep, you guessed it, 80 or so garments inspired by textiles and styles from various parts of the world which have been adapted and incorporated into knitting patterns.


Although the styles themselves are somewhat dated now - we're talking 80s here when everything was either very baggy or ultra-wide at the shoulders - the actual pattern charts are timeless.  And while I doubt I'll ever knit any of the exact patterns contained in the book, there's a very strong possibility I'll end up adapting the charts to work with more contemporary styles.

I do remember making this sweater though, before the book was lost, and my mum still has a photo of me on display, aged around 18, wearing it.  I was so proud of the achievement as I think it was my first attempt at colour work and strand-weaving.  If I remember right, the results were pretty good!!


I did make mine without the white "bamboo" parts though as I thought they detracted somewhat from the lovely colourful butterflies.

The chart for the back and front of the sweater
A very happy day indeed :D

0 comments: